Eldoret Town ...

Eldoret is a town in western Kenya and the administrative centre of Uasin Gishu District of the Rift Valley Province. Lying south of the Cherangani Hills, the local elevation varies from about 2100 metres above sea level at the airport to more than 2700 metres in nearby areas (7000-9000 feet). The population was about 200,830 in 1999 (census), and it is currently the fastest growing town in Kenya, and currently the 5th largest in Kenya.

The name "Eldoret" is based on the Maasai word "eldore" meaning "stony river" because the bed of the nearby Sosiani River which is very stony.
A "t" was added to make it sound like a Nandi word. At the start of the colonial era, the area was occupied by the Nandi, before that by the Maasai and before that the Sirikwa.

In 1907, the then Post-master- General, Mr Gosling, made a safari to the Plateau to establish a post office and after touring the area and studying the position of terms not taken up for development, he chose Farm 64 as a central place for a post office.The official town site of Eldoret itself started in 1910 with a Post Office on what was known to the white settlers as "Farm 64", "64" or "Sisibo" to the locals because, at that time it was 64 miles from the newly built Uganda Railway railhead at Kibigori.

 

. : The Runner

  • The Eldoreterians

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

Eldoret Eldoret Eldoret Eldoret Eldoret Eldoret Eldoret
Eldoret Eldoret Eldoret Eldoret Eldoret Eldoret Eldoret